Today, I had the treat of chatting with a long time friend of mine who in his past was a 3rd degree black belt and competed at international Martial Art competitions, and is now an associate principal at Global Engineering Solutions (“GES”). GES is based in Rockville, Maryland, and was recently awarded in 2010 as the #7 Fastest Growing Privately Held Engineering Company in the US by Inc Magazine.
Essi’s story is very interesting, as an international Martial Arts competitor, living a healthy and active lifestyle was a way of life. Now, due to the demands at GES and the time he spends with his family, Essi has had to take his workout and nutritional habits of the past and adjust them to fit his current schedule.
Here are some of the key take away’s from the interview:
- In order for Essi to be a high level performer at work, living a healthy and active lifestyle is a requirement
- Essi’s best time to get in a workout is right after work but before dinner
- Essi Exercises at home, typically by completing body weight exercises (i.e. push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups)
- Keeps workouts to 45 minutes or less
- On weekends Essi plays soccer so he can get in both his fun and exercise at the same time
- Nutrition is just as important, and Essi focuses on getting in a well balanced diet and listening to his body to know when he’s full
- Essi takes his time eating so that he’ll know when he feels full he doesn’t finish his plate
- Eats snacks throughout the day to keep up his energy level and metabolism
- Important to occasionally enjoy unhealthy foods and treats without over indulging
For details, and to find out how GES sponsored soccer team did this year, watch the video!